Damien Barbeler and Anna McMichael - Level 3
Connor D'netto from we are breathing - Level 1
Ashley Bathgate from Bang on a Can All Stars - Auditorium
Raven with Peter Hollo - Level 3
Bang on a Can All Stars - Auditorium
Audience members performing Satie's Vexations - Ground Level Foyer
We are now calling for expressions of interest from musicians and artists with original work to perform as part of the 2019 Extended Play line-up.
Behind the scenes, Extended Play is equal parts art and marketing, as we want to draw a large audience, then to share the database with all artists (opt-in audience willing). Sydney continues to be a challenge for attracting a new music audience, so the idea is to put on an irresistible event – for some people who may only go to one new music event a year, let this be it. We hope you will see this opportunity as investing in your own future audience.
The information below provides more detail on the event and what we need to receive from you. The final mix of performances is dependent on final funding outcomes, but we are 100% committed to making Extended Play 2019 a great success, so we'd love to hear from you.
About City Recital Hall
Located at the centre of the vibrant Angel Place laneways precinct in the heart of Sydney, City Recital Hall is a world-class, purpose-built performance space loved by audiences and performers alike for its unbeatable acoustics.
City Recital Hall enjoys a relationship with a loyal audience who feel passionate about our venue and our performances. Each year we welcome over 175,000 visitors and audiences who attend over 270 events from morning to night.
Find out more at cityrecitalhall.com
Who Can Apply?
Alongside a program of larger-scale acts on our auditorium mainstage, we’re inviting expressions of interest from the following for our foyer performance spaces on Levels 1, 2 and 3:
- Solo/duo acts and ensembles/bands to play a set of up to 1 hour
- Interdisciplinary artists with small-scale interactive audio-visual works.
What Is Covered?
City Recital Hall will provide artists that we engage with a set fee as follows:
- Solo/duo acts: $1,000
- Ensembles/bands: $2,000
City Recital Hall will provide:
- Staging, simple fixed lighting and stereo PA
- Basic technical equipment such as microphones, DIs and foldback
- Basic stage furniture such as chairs and music stands
- Audio operator and other technical staff as required
- Projector and screen in some spaces
- Promotion of the event and artists through print, online and social media channels
- Networking and database opportunities for artists performing as part of the event.
Artists will need to cover all other costs, including any travel and accommodation, and supply all equipment not provided above including instruments and amps.
How To Apply?
Please provide the following:
- A short bio
- A list of the artists involved and what instruments each artist plays
- A short description of no more than two proposed programs to be performed, including previous performances, if any (the programs may contain overlapping works). Each program should last one hour, including time for transitions between works.
- Your technical and staging requirements, including a simple stage map. Please be as specific as possible and state if you require a piano or AV as part of your performance.
- A brief outline of how you would promote your participation in Extended Play
- Links to websites, social media pages, video and audio clips and reviews.
Expressions of interest are open until 7 January 2019 but we greatly appreciate early submissions as it allows us more time to absorb your proposal.
Please send your application or any questions to any of the following contacts:
- Lyle Chan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elaine Chia email@example.com
- Linly Goh firstname.lastname@example.org
The successful artists will be selected by a panel consisting of representatives from City Recital Hall and Extended Play co-artistic director Lyle Chan.
Artists will be selected based on the following:
- Overall fit within the Extended Play program and format
- Appropriateness of the performance within the venue’s spaces.
Strong consideration will be given to new and original work.
The final mix of performances chosen is dependent on final funding outcomes.
19 November 2018 We start taking expressions of interest. We greatly appreciate early submissions as it allows us more time to absorb your proposal
7 January 2019 The last day on which we take expressions of interest
Mid-January 2019 You’ll hear from us about your submission. If you are shortlisted, you may be asked to submit a letter of support for our funding applications
May 2019 Announcement of Extended Play line-up
30 August 2019 Bump-in / tech and sound checks (all artists performing in Extended Play must be available on this date)
31 August 2019 Extended Play
All photos by Poppy Burnett