Skip to main content

As part of our 2019 artistic program, City Recital Hall is producing and presenting Ears to the Ground, a new evening series of intimate, stripped-back gigs in our ground level bar and performance space.

We are now calling for expressions of interest from bands and artists to perform as part of this new series.

The information below provides more detail on the event and what we need to receive from you.

ABOUT CITY RECITAL HALL

Located at the centre of the vibrant Angel Place laneways precinct in the heart of Sydney, City Recital Hall is a world-class performance space loved by audiences and performers.

City Recital Hall enjoys a relationship with a loyal audience who feel passionate about our venue and our performances. Each year we welcome over 175,000 visitors and audiences who attend over 280 events from morning to night.

ABOUT EARS TO THE GROUND

Through Ears to the Ground, we hope to go some way to filling the gap in Sydney’s live music scene, in providing much-needed live performance opportunities for Sydney musicians. We’re inviting bands and artists to take over our ground level stage for a night of their music, and activate their networks to join our effort to bring new audiences to City Recital Hall.

Ears to the Ground will run on various week-nights throughout 2019. Concert durations are approximately one hour of music, with an optional 20 minute interval. But it’s really up to you!

If your application is successful, we will work with you to choose a suitable date and show time. Ticket prices will be between $20 and $40 and will be set in collaboration with you.

WHO CAN APPLY?

Emerging, independent or established contemporary music artists including solo performers, duos and bands of up to four players.

FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENT

The artist will receive 80% of box office takings and City Recital Hall will receive the remaining 20%. For example, for every $30 ticket sold, the artist receives $24 and City Recital Hall receives $6.

WHAT WILL CITY RECITAL HALL PROVIDE?

  • An intimate performance space and bar with seating for approximately 100 people plus standing room
  • Stage 3m (w) x 2m (d), simple fixed lighting and PA
  • Basic technical equipment such as microphones, DIs and foldback (Additional equipment may be supplied by negotiation)
  • Basic stage furniture such as chairs and music stands
  • Audio operator
  • Promotion of the event and artists through City Recital Hall’s print, online and social media channels
  • Ticketing, including staffing
  • All front of house (bar, security), including staffing

WHAT WILL THE ARTIST NEED TO COVER?

  • All equipment not provided above, including all instruments and amps
  • All marketing in addition to City Recital Hall’s promotion (outlined above), including any paid or unpaid advertising
  • Any travel and accommodation costs
  • Any licencing rights and/or royalties

HOW TO APPLY?

Please provide the following:

  • A short bio
  • Who is involved and what instruments each artists play
  • A short description of your performance
  • Your technical and staging requirements. Please be as specific as possible.
  • Your expected audience numbers
  • A brief outline of how you plan to promote your show
  • Links to websites, social media pages, video and audio clips and reviews
  • Your contact details

Expressions of interest are open until Tuesday 23 January 2019.

Please send your application or any questions to any of the following contacts:

Elaine Chia elaine.chia@cityrecitalhall.com
Linly Goh linly.goh@cityrecitalhall.com

SELECTION PROCESS

The successful artists will be selected by City Recital Hall. There may also be an external advisor from the industry.

Artists will be selected based on the following:

  • Overall fit within the series and format
  • Appropriateness of the performance for the venue’s space.

Strong consideration will be given to new and original work.

TIMELINE

9 November 2018 EOI opens
23 January 2019 EOI closes
Mid-February 2019 You will hear from us about your submission